17 June, 2010

Breath(e)

This is the first day of my blog.

I'm calling it The Older Orphan because that's who I am. My mother died on 3 May, 2010, just five weeks ago, and my father died in December 1998. I'm 51 years old. And now I'm an orphan.

Orphan. That word always felt so Dickensian: a small, grimy-nosed boy in a torn and tattered waistcoat pleading for another ladle of watery gruel. But now it describes me and hundreds of thousands -- millions? -- of people just like me. We're losing our parents and we're standing alone, no one watching our every move, no one cheering or criticizing or laughing or wincing at our foibles and our achievements.

My mother had Alzheimer's. So it's probably accurate to say that I actually lost her a number of years ago. I thought I'd feel a huge surge of relief as soon as she died. And I did. Of course. Who would want anyone to suffer those indignities, year after year? So, yes, I am relieved. And I am also incredibly sad. I thought the relief would outweigh the grief. Not the case. The grief is the more powerful of the two emotions.

What I grieve is my loss. What I grieve is the passing of time. It -- life -- is whizzing by, sometimes unnoticed and rarely feeling like it's being squeezed for every drop it's worth. I spend a lot of time thinking about the past. I spend too much time fantasizing about the future: the relationship I'll finally have, the retirement I'll be able to afford, the jeans I'll finally squeeze back into. The present is sacrificed to rewriting history or scripting what's next.

I am determined to change.

The weekend before my mother died, I watched her as she breathed. She was being administered morphine and Atavan; she was alive but no longer reachable. I imagined my mother hovering somewhere between this world and the next. I watched that breath. It was shallow. Just one breath, then another. Then a pause. And then another breath. And as long as that breath came, my mother was alive. Life is in that single breath. We don't know if another is coming. But in that moment, there is breath and so there is life.

It was such a humbling realization because I'd never before allowed myself to distill it -- life -- down to such small proportions. Before that weekend of my mother's death, life was big and complicated, with plans and chaos and concessions and priorities. And then suddenly it became clear. That the only thing we can really experience is the single moment of time in which we are living. Right now. Breathe.

Making my life smaller but more intense. That's what I'm thinking about.

I have no idea what I'm going to write about. But I've told myself that I am going to write every day and I'm going to tell the truth, no matter how trivial or mundane or embarrassing.

My goal is to make this blog an authentic ride through my life. Maybe, if my fantasies come true, fellow orphans will speak out and share their stories and talk about how hard it is to finally stand on your own two feet and do the hard work of being in your life. Maybe other people from our generation will join the conversation and say, Shit, I'm really scared that my mother or my father is going to die. Or, Shit, I'm really scared that I'M going to die.

And then we come together and remind ourselves to live it in this one moment. And breathe.


10 comments:

  1. Amy - This is wonderful. You are so brave. I too am an orphan - since the age of 30. Sometimes it just seems so all alone - especially when you lose your mother. I still find myself talking to her and it took me years not to want to pick up the phone and call her. Keep up the great blog - it is therapeutic to me and I'm sure many others.
    Hugs and mother embraces,
    Care

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for sharing amy.
    i love reading your thoughts and appreciate the universality they express.
    i have a sign up in my house.
    it says: "things to do today: breathe in, breathe out".
    a powerful reminder.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. time to read something by Thich Nhat Hanh perhaps...? not that i want to be an evangelical buddhist, but... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for articulating much of what I have also been trying to digest. In particular the whole passing of time piece. It is difficult to really understand the power of a single minute, after all it could the first or last of a person's life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. actually, that's one of the points i make when i teach beginning meditation (buddhist or otherwise) - when you focus on the breath you are necessarily focused on the present moment - its never lagging in the past or rushing into the future. your breath is only ever present NOW. and its the first thing you do when you're born and the last thing you do when you die. everything else is kind of 'extra.' so learning to place your mind In Your Breath, moment by moment, is a way of being present. and this is practical advice, not metaphor. if one sits for five minutes a day, just resting your mind with your breath (should be a relief, not a discipline) - like Amy did with her mom's last breaths - then at any moment of the day or night, one develops that as a skill to return to this moment and let go of obsessional stuff about things already over or fantasies about things not yet happened (and maybe never to happen). good for anxiety, to say the least. good for lots more, too.

    forgive me Ames for getting didactic, but these observations of your's are SO rich and important!! as i said before: one of you're mother's gifts to you. but, you being you, you were able to be present for it and get it! now its just about practicing it ;-)

    blah blah blah blah blah. did i pontificate this much in 5th grade? be honest...

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did not pontificate in the 5th grade, any more than you're pontificating now :) You were fascinating to me back then and the same holds true, mi amigo. What you say is very, very interesting to me. I am learning. And I like what you're teaching. I especially like the idea of practicing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still have my mother, but as I watch her age and disengage it feels like I became an orphan without ever physically losing her. I suppose we're all orphans to a certain extent, with or without parents.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Two weeks ago today, I went to a funeral.

    Sitting in the church, I wondered how long it would be before I was the guy in the box with all his friends (hopefully) gathered to say their final goodbyes.

    On the way home, my wife and I got that Audi TT we had been talking about for months. WE LOVE DRIVING THAT CAR!

    A large part of the enjoyment for me is knowing that I'll never, ever, have to regret failing to act on that spontaneous urge to do something completely selfish and impractical and expensive and exhilerating....a far too rare experience in a short life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful posting, Jim. You are so right: I bet you'll never regret it. That's how I'm aiming to live now, too.

    ReplyDelete